Transportation Quick Tips
In the middle of the Shanghai to Nanjing transportation corridor Wuxi has fast and easy access to rail, road and air connections. Things may seem a bit confusing, everything is in Chinese, but once you learn the ropes traveling around China or anywhere in Asia, North America or Europe to or from Wuxi is easy.
- The fastest way to get to Wuxi is by Train. Trains leave every day from the Shanghai Main Railway Station. A one way soft seat to Wuxi costs approximately 48 RMB. The problem however with taking the train to Wuxi is if you are arriving on an international flight you have to get from the airport to the train station. The fastest way is to take a cab (approximately 180 RMB)
- Taking a Train to from Wuxi to Shanghai takes approximately 45 mins (CHR), Tickets can be purchased at the Wuxi train Station. Cost approximately 48 RMB. You can also leave from Wuxi by train to just about anywhere in China.
- A great alternative to getting to Wuxi, if you have arrived on an internationl flight and you have no one to pick you up at the airport, is to take the bus direct from the Pudong International Airport. You can follow the signs in English. The cost is approximately 100 RMB. Takes about 2 Hours normally but you can count on longer during peak traffic periods.
- It takes approximately 2 Hours to drive from Shanghai to Wuxi (Highway Entrance to Exit) You will have to add additional time for travel in Shanghai to the highway. Getting from the Pudong International Airport in Shanghai to the Highway can take up to two hours in heavy traffic.
- You can book private cars direct at the airport. These are not legal and you should be aware that once inside they can take you anywhere. The going rate for a van is approximately 800 RMB for a one way trip. You will have to bargin.